The Edible Schoolyard

My favorite birthday gift that I received last week was from my friends Chefs Susan and Cheney. They gave me a copy of "Edible Schoolyard" by Alice Waters. I love cooking from the Alice Waters cookbooks and I knew that she was involved with starting gardens at a San Francisco school so I was excited to receive this book, which I didn't even know existed. It's a short read and during nap time one day last week I got it read. I now have a million ideas running through my head for our children's garden. One of our favorite morning activities early this summer was going out to the backyard to pick sun ripened raspberries straight off the bush and pop them in our mouths for our morning snack. I am excited to expand our garden and have much more to grow, prepare, eat and learn next year!